Friday, December 19, 2008

Dear Braylon,

Despite being frustrated by your increased tendency to drop passes this season, I've still remained a loyal fan, anxiously hoping that you would snap out of the slump. And since I'm used to supporting the Browns throughout all the hard times, I wasn't afraid or embarrassed to still don my #17 jersey with pride. Until now. After reading your most recent comments, I feel truly disappointed. As for now, the #17 jersey may just have to join my other "retired" jerseys in the back of my closest.

I'm not sure how, as a professional player, you cannot be frustrated anymore. You stated,

It's not even frustrating anymore...I mean it's been that way, we haven't
scored a touchdown in four games..which is pretty embarrassing..so for me it's
not even frustrating anymore.
Really? You can just let that slide and not be frustrated and go out there and have fun? These games aren't high school games or backyard pick-up games. This is your career, your profession. And yes, you should have fun doing your job, but you have to take it serious. The team playing the way they are playing should not be fun. Being embarrassed should not be fun.

And you really feel underapreciated? I really hope this was just your emotions getting the best of you and that you truly don't feel that way. Like I said previously, many fans are frustrated with the dropped passes this season, but they still appreciate your talent. We recognize that you are a Pro-bowl caliber player. I think that's why this season stings even more. It isn't you. It isn't what you are capable of. And as for being a "marked man coming from Michigan," give Cleveland fans a little more credit than that. Orange and Brown is what matters most to true Browns fans. Once you join the team and start wearing those sacred colors, that's it. Look at Jamal Lewis. Do we hold it against him that he used to be a Raven? No. Cowher led the Steelers to a Super Bowl win and we still want him as our coach. Like I said, once you put on the Cleveland Browns uniform, you are part of us. (I even know fans who have named their kids Braylon. That should be the ultimate form of appreciation!)

And I am truly sorry if you and your family have been ridiculed while you have been out in public. Yes, there are some jerks out there. You have that everywhere you go. And yes, they can take things too far. But they really are a small minority. As for "people in this town believ[ing] they are entitled to too much," we just believe that we are entitled to a football team that does everything in their power to try and produce a victory, a winning season, a run at a championship and that isn't happening. Browns fans, and Cleveland sports fans in general, are some of the most loyal fans out there. We continue to pour money into organizations that continually let us down. We continue to root for and support teams that don't produce. Why do we stick around? Why don't we we find a new team to support? Because we are loyal to our teams. We are die-hard fans that will continue to support our teams. All we want is something to get excited about, players that seem like they are giving it their all, coaches that care about their job. I don't think that is too much to ask, since it is your job and all.

I'm glad that you are showing some emotion, showing that you care, but it isn't coming across too well. You are sounding like a spolied brat. You said that your "biggest problem is that [you] actually give a damn." Then show it. Use that to motivate the rest of the team to go out and play. Use this so-called passion to become the leader of a team that so desperately needs one. Running your mouth to the media isn't going to do anything to help the team that you suppossedly give a damn about. All you are doing is alienating the city of Cleveland, but maybe that's what you want. Maybe you want to play for Detroit, since that is where all of your "charity efforts will be for now on?"

Like I said, I've been a fan up until you started running your mouth. And I'm not disowning you, just waiting for a different Braylon to show up.

No comments: